DNS SETUP Part I
This article is intended for Dynamic Dedicated clients who host their own DNS. If you host your DNS with another provider you will need to change the records with that provider to point over to your dedicated server IP addresses.
1. Open the DNS Management MMC snap in from Administrator Tools. Start Menu, Control Panel, Administrator Tools, DNS.
6. Accept the defaults on the next screen and click next.
7. Again accept the defaults on the next page.
8. Then click finish to complete the DNS entry for the site.
DNS Setup Part II
1. Open DNS as described in step one in part one of this article.
2. Expand the Forward Lookup Zones by clicking the plus.
3. Click on the Domain that you would like to configure.
4. The example above shows what the zone looks like after completed in part one of this article.
5. The first thing you will want to do is right click on the Start of Authority (SOA) record and choose properties.
6. Click on the Primary server field and enter the name of your primary name server and enter
admin.YourNameserverDomain.com into the responsible person field (or any email address but substitute the @ symbol with a "." For example, if you would like the responsible person to be email@example.com you would enter in support.example.com.)
7. Click the apply button, then click on the Name Servers Tab.
8. If any name servers are listed, highlight them and click the remove button. After removing the existing name servers click on the add button.
9. Type your name server in the server fully qualified domain name field. Then click the resolve button. An IP address should appear in the box below. Then click the OK button. If the name server does not resolve make sure you have added the A records to the domain name that holds your name servers. For example, if you use ns1.example.com make sure to add the A record called ns1 to the zone example.com.
11. Click the Ok button again to close the properties box.
13. You will want to add three of these for a new domain.
14. There is one last thing that needs to be setup. Right click on the domain and choose new mail exchanger
15. You will need to enter the name into the FQDN of the mail server. Until smarter mail is fully up and running
on your server your will want to use mail.gearhost.com, but after you will use mail.domain.com.
Powered by WHMCompleteSolution